College of Transportation Engineering 2015Grade --Basic InformationI.Brief Introduction
In 1952 during the adjustment of departments and specialties in national higher education institutions, the related departments in Jiaotong University and Fudan University were merged into Civil Engineering Division of Tongji University, and the new department was named Railway and Road Department which firstly setup the road and railway engineering subjects in China.
The subject gathered a large number of famous scholars, with more internationally renowned experts in the field. Currently the Department has 19 professors and researchers, 20 associate professors and researchers. The Department has established several academic teams of the prime of life, which have clear-direction, reasonable knowledge structure, fully understand to the international forefront of research work, and the courage to science and technology research and innovation.
Road and Traffic Engineering Laboratory of Chinese Ministry of Education in Tongji University was founded in 1993. It was the only open laboratory at that time. In 2000, the laboratory was authorized as a key laboratory of Chinese Ministry of Education. Based on “985” plat construction project(II), the subject built a leading international accelerate testing system on highway and airport pavement(APT) and one Research Center of Ministry of Road Safety and Environmental Engineering . Development mechanism of combination of production, learning and research has been formed, which had promoted the transfer of research results.
Following the traditional development and facing the wide range of technology needs in China’s highways, urban roads, railways and airports and other large-scale integrated transport infrastructure construction and management, the subject characteristics has formed as covering a variety of transportation facilities, equal emphasis on basic research and application of technical innovation, simultaneous development of team building and base construction.
Not only the faculty resources, research environment (open key laboratory), subject foundation (Doctorate program and Post-doctorial Program), research team foundation (Yantze River Scholar Award), but number of the projects, results importance, influence domestic and abroad, fully represent Road and Railway engineering subject of Tongji University’s leading position in similar domestic subjects. Road engineering, railway engineering, airport engineering, Urban Rail Transit and Railway Engineering and etc. have gained scored brilliant results and many have already reached the international advanced level. The subject has become major original theoretical research, engineering and technical innovation, high-level training base in road, rail and airport engineering.The subject has the right to award PhD.
1. Patriotism, ardent love for the people, foster correct world outlook, views on life and values.
2. Develop a rigorous and realistic scientific attitude and style, lay a solid theoretical foundation, and acquire the systemic specialized knowledge.
3. Familiar with domestic engineering construction and control system. Has the ability to host projects or independently solve engineering problems. Thoroughly understand academic development tendency, trend and scientific front. Have the independent and creative research ability in planning, design and management of the road, the railroad and the airport.
4. Be fluent and proficient in at least one foreign language. Research academic problems and internationally exchange academic discussion.
5. Have a good quality of academic leaders. Own the ability to take on teaching, research and engineering construction and management of universities, research institutions and enterprises.
6. Develop well about morality, intelligence, physique and aesthetics, and become academic leader. Students can take teaching, researching and administrative management work in education institutes, research institutes and enterprise and public institutions.
7. Have the ability of practical working and science research, have the individual analysis, direct and organize the research and develop capacity in aspects of comprehensive communication system planning, transportation system management, communication system analysis and so on.
8. Have a healthy body.
1. Road engineering;
2. Railway engineering;
3. Airport engineering;
4. Urban railway transport engineering;
5.Road safety and environment engineering.
6. Transportation information engineering and geography information system;
7. Roadway and rail control system and key technology;
8. Intelligent transportation system and key technology;
9. Vehicle and road coordination and active safety system;
10. Traffic related items internet theory and key technology
11. Experimental transportation engineering theory and method.
12. Transportation system planning
13. Transportation system Management and Traffic Design
14. Transportation Economics and Policy
15. Railway system Management and Traffic Design
16. Transportation Environment and Safety
17. Logistic Engineering
The PhD program span is 3 years, but no more than 5 years. No more than one year for course study and no less than 2 years for dissertation. The graduates identified as likely to be for the best graduate dissertation can extend the paper time and their treatment will be dealt with separately. The excellent one, who completes ahead of schedule of the trained program (In school registration time no less than 2 years), and meets all graduate requirements, is permit to graduate ahead of time.
Doctoral graduates must obtain no less than 13 credits, including 4 credits of public degree courses, 4 credits of professional degree courses, 2 credits of non-degree courses, and 3 credits of compulsory activity. The first foreign language should be same as the enrollment language. If English is not the first foreign language, then it should be chosen as second foreign language.
PhD degree dissertation should be completed individually with the tutors’ direction, which should show its realization of the “education objects” and should follow the “Tongji University PhD Educational Regulation”. The dissertation should be finished in Chinese. In order to meet the need of first foreign language education, the dissertation which is written in Chinese should also have at least one published or publish-like paper (reception can be allowed) relative to the dissertation; Foreign students can use English or other language which is granted by Degree Evaluation Committee to finish dissertations.
Before the defense of dissertation, the chairman of Academy Degree Committee needs to review whether the requirements of dissertation, paper publication have been satisfied. Then the dissertation can be submitted for reviewing. Dissertations for PhD Degree must be reviewed using double-blind review system.
Doctoral graduates should independently finish the dissertation under the guide of his supervisor. The dissertation should show that the graduate has met all the requirements in “Train Objects” and be written in accordance to the provisions of PhD training work of Tongji University. The foreign graduates’ dissertation can be finished in English or some other language approved by Degree Evaluation Sub-Committee and the Graduate School. Foreign dissertation should have a detailed Chinese summary.The graduation reply should be approved by Discipline Committee. The dissertation can be sent out for review only after the dissertation meets the requirement and academic papers meet relevant requirement. The dissertation for PhD should accept the double-blind examination.
College of Transportation Engineering 2015Grade --curriculum of training programme